Thursday, March 24, 2011

Teaching Manners

What values we parents hold dear are usually those taught first to our children, right?  For me, it is important for Abby to be polite and respectful.  Saying please, thank you, Mr. or Mrs. Abby's-friends'-parents'-last-name (no matter if I cringe when a tot calls me Mrs. Proctor).

This past week we've been working on "please".  Of course her vocabulary is limited to a few words, but sign language has been very helpful.

The sign for "please" is made by placing your flat right hand over the center of your chest.  Move your hand in a clockwise motion (from the observer's point of view, use a circular motion towards your left, down, right, and back up) a few times.




Abby has caught on quickly!  She continues to screech and point when she wants something and as soon I ask her to say please she becomes giddy, signs 'please' and waits for what she is asking for.  Generally, we know what she needs.  Up in her high chair, up in her booster seat, a snack, to play in the rice (as she sits on top of the closed bucket), to read a book, etc.

Here she is today:


Notice the gate blocking the recyclables and how quickly she smiles when we ask her to say please?  So darn cute.  Her 'cookies' are the Girl Scout Trefoils (shortbreads) and she is only allowed one.  I suppose I could give her the whole sleeve to fatten her up, but then there wouldn't be any for me.  I've already told Tim he is not allowed to eat any more.  We only have five left - what the heck am I suppose to give her when they are gone?  She has gotten very good at saying, "cooooo-kie".  And the please just about kills me.  Go ahead, watch it again.  Adorable.  :-)

You know something catches on when you don't have to initiate it.  Most recently, Abby wanted to get up in her booster to sit at the breakfast bar.  She was in her usual screeching mode and pointing to the chair.   I looked at her, waited, and sure enough she signed, 'please'!  That's my girl!

2 comments:

  1. Adorable. We have been working on this and Luke has been fast to learn that if he very cutely say PALLLLLEEEEEEASE (lisps it) we give into about anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute!

    "I suppose I could give her the whole sleeve to fatten her up, but then there wouldn't be any for me." This cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete