Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Slow Down School Zone"

I have never been more excited to see that sign in my life.  For most of us it signals slow down, schools getting out, busses are going to slow you down, hahaha you got screwed it's going to take forever to get where you're going...Well, today, my blogging friends, it meant the end of my first 5K.

Abby's fun run

Yes, that's right a whole 3.1 miles of tortuous running.  Six weeks ago Tim and I signed up for the Race 2 the Point, a family friendly 5K that benefited the Blue Point School's PTA.   We had been wanting to get into race action for awhile and with a bathing-suit wearing vacation on the horizon, we thought this was a good place to start.    I had been running on the treadmill at the gym, even hit the pavement a couple of days it got above 40 degrees.  Race day was a balmy 34 degrees, windy, biting cold and hilly.   What the hell was I thinking?

Pre Race


Luckily, I had the support of some fabulous gal friends and Tim who were also running and of course Mimi and Abby were waiting not-so-patiently at the school (Abby wasn't all that excited to be there).

L-R Nolan, Annie, Me, Sarah, and Eli, sleeping (Where was Erin???) Post Race

Let me describe the race map for you:   Start. Climb a few hundred yards, down hill through mile 1.5.  Uphill through 3.0 miles. Down hill .1 mile.  Yup, uphill the last mile or so.  Luckily it was a gradual incline and not too crazy.  The worst part?  THERE WAS A HEAD WIND!  I can't make this up.  In my first official race, I'm climbing this monstrous hill the size of Kathadin, and the wind is pushing me backwards.  Whatever. 

Let's talk about the runners:  A few hundred peeps of all ages under 14-senior age, walkers, runners, avid athletes, beginners, they really ran the whole gamut.  It was actually perfect for my first race because I sure as heck didn't finish first, but I absolutely didn't finish last.  BTW, the winner of the under girls under 14 finished in 24 minutes and change.  Holy shnikes batman. 

Let's talk about the race:  The race was a down and back - which means at the halfway point, you turned around and ran the same way you came.  So, what this really means is that 1/4 of the way into the race the leader passed me going the opposite direction.  In fact, he lapped me three times.  He did two 5k's in the time it took me to do one.  Humbling.  At least I think it was him - the flashy orange sneakers were hard to miss.  I could have been delirious.  Tim gave me a high five on his return trip and my gal pals gave me a rousing "go- get 'em" as well.  Running in a race certainly has its advantages - you never get bored and there's always someone or something to cheer you on.  Kind of like that 'School Zone' Sign.  I knew I was close to finishing when that came into view.  The mental calculations of finishing very soon started to kick in and my stride picked up.  Passing a few runners and sprinting into the finish.

Man, was I ever glad to see that sign.  I will never, ever look at the blinking sign ever again in hostility or abhorrence.  To me, it's a true sign of accomplishment.

Post Race

Just about the cross the finish line!


All in all, it was a fantastic race.  Despite the hills and the cold, I felt good.  IT felt good.  Great vibes, water, pizza, bagels and snacks at the end, and a good workout.  Done by noon. 

My personal goal was to finish the race and to run the entire thing.  I did both and even beat the time I not-so-secretly had in my head of 36 minutes, crossing the line at 35:52.  A bit faster than a bottle of Heinz.  Tim also finished prior to his finish-by time of 30 minutes at 29:30.  With the hills and wind, I'd say this was a rousing success! 

I would absolutely do it again - only if it's at a school and they have the "Slow Down School Zone" signs.  No slowing down for me though,  I'll be sprinting!

***Special thanks goes out to Tim, MiMi, Abby, Sarah, Annie, and Erin for being my cheerleaders!

No comments:

Post a Comment