Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Be Not Afraid

As March begins and spring inches its way closer, the days are longer and the light is brighter. This year we vowed to seek a church family to become a part of.  Living in Cape Elizabeth, the closest First Congregational Church near us is actually the one we were married in.  So we went.  And we haven't stopped. Starting something new can be scary, but the seventy five minutes of peace, quiet, reflection, music, love, and acceptance are some of the best minutes of my week.

This church feels like home.  We were welcomed on the very first day and have enjoyed each and every one of the pastors' sermons.  I appreciate that a woman is the associate pastor, that EVERYONE (no matter race or sexual orientation)  is welcome to worship, that many young families are members, that the children are a major part of worship, and that every service I leave renewed.

What do we do with Abby you ask?  Well, the church does provide child care but since we're in the middle of nap time she's not a big fan. Abby spent a few weeks with us in the sanctuary, is generally quiet, but we still need to watch her. That past couple of weeks, MiMi has had the pleasure of Abby's presence.  Until Abby is on a one nap a day routine, she'll probably stay with MiMi.  I will enjoy the time when we can participate in the Children's Time and maybe even Joyful Noise - the children's choir.

I seem to get weepy on most Sundays.  I have no idea why - is the unconditional love of the words?  The music?  This past week was no exception when we began singing the hymn, "Be Not Afraid", a hymn sung at Tim's Mom's funeral.  I was extra weepy this week and even Tim needed to leave to get tissues. 

The message of worship was to not worry about tomorrow, just take care of today's concerns.  The pastor's way of words was captive, humorous, and reflective.  As I struggle with finding a new career and thinking about the future, the message was especially poignant.  Take it all one day at a time, enjoy Abby, and be not afraid, for God is with us.

2 comments:

  1. I was told once that the pure emotion that comes over you is the presence of God. I love that! I'm glad you found a church! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Jess! And I would love to share our Congregational church with you when you come to visit!

    ReplyDelete