Sunday, November 22, 2009

She's here!!!!

Apparently my Mother instincts are already spot on. Miss Abigail Jean Proctor made her appearance yesterday afternoon at 12:37pm. She weighed 7 pounds, 6 ounces and was 21" long. She is absolutely perfect in every way, no bias or anything. We're pretty sure she is going to have light hair, aka, be a red head, but are still figuring out who she looks like. I think she has Tim's nose and mouth.

Here's a quick snapshot of the birth story:

I started timing contractions at 1ish on Friday while I was at work - they were about 8 minutes apart and were just mild cramps. Got home a bit early, made some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies AND a pumpkin cheesecake. We went to bed around 11pm and I shot out of bed with a doozy one at 12:30am and also thought my water broke. Because I needed antibiotics for group B Strep, after talking to the midwife on call we got to the hospital around 1:30am. While I was hoping to go natural, I decided on the epidural and got it at 4am - I was 5 cm dilated at this point. Not too shabby. Tim and I had a few hours of rest, and at 6:30am I had another internal and they announced I was 8cm dilated. I started pushing at 8:30 and pushed for 4 HOURS (usually pushing is around 2)! They gave me a bit more pitocin after 3 hours to get the contractions going a bit more regularly. Let's say that last hour was a bit difficult. Miss Abby was doing well the whole time and the nurses were fantastic. I do have to say that Tim was the best coach of them all. I don't think he expected to be such an active part of the process, but he watched the whole thing. Because my eyes had swollen shut from the excess pushing, I couldn't see much of anything. Hence the reason for no pictures of me to date. I might get brave and post one, but it ain't pretty folks.

Here we are almost 30 hours post labor and I feel pretty decent. Bottom is a bit tender, eyes are still swollen, as muscles are sore.

As I type this, my little girl and her Daddy are farting up a storm in the chair. I know I should be sleeping or resting, but how can you rest when you've got the most awesome husband and most adorable little girl watching the Pats game.....and stinking up the room...ah, love...it couldn't get any better.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even tell you how happy I am for you. FOUR HOURS - you are A-MAZE-ING! Go girl! Hope your transition home goes smoothly and I'll see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome Jess! I can't wait to meet her! We are supporting you guys 100% of the way, so never hesitate to email me or call (734-8630) if you have an "is this normal" question or just want to talk. The first week was tough getting adjusted, but once I started reaching out and asking my burning questions to ease some of my insecurities we did just fine as I am sure you will too. Welcome to the club hun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Jess (and Tim)! I'm so thrilled for you - I can't wait to come by with a ton of food and steal her away for a cuddle!

    We'll be thinking of you - sending lots of love, too!

    xoxo, Katelyn

    ReplyDelete