Sunday, October 18, 2009

I feel loved

There are moments in life that truly make you stop and assess your fortunes. Yesterday was certainly one of them. I am always amazed by the love and generosity of our immediate and extended families and friends. We have been so lucky to surround ourselves with such wonderful people that I often think, "do I really deserve this?" When asked how the shower was, I responded such sentiments and my good friend replied, "Good people attract good people." In a nutshell, I'll take that as one the highest compliments because our little peanut could feel the love and she's not even born yet!

After our morning photo session, we headed out to Falmouth where 40 or so of my favorite gals were waiting anxiously to greet Tim and me - and really prime viewing of the baby belly. Tim and his Dad scurried off for their own teaching session while I settled in said hi to everyone. My pink clothespin was quickly taken away to which I don't think I ever got back. The game was whenever someone said "baby", your clothespin was snatched and whomever had the most at the end won a small gift. I believe the winner was my cousin, Ida, who didn't chat too much but had a good ear. She had 11 clothespins!

We had a fabulous lunch of Lobster Rolls, fruit salad served in a stroller shaped watermelon, wraps, biscuits with chicken salad, and so much more. And, of course I stayed away from the mimosa's, but certainly helped myself to cake made by the Eurpean Bakery. All was very, very yummy!

Miss Peanut's gifts were a wide variety of the key registry items (the car seat), very appropriate items from the gift giver (Nike booties from an Athletic Director), very appropriate items for Mom and Dad (a onesie that says, "Green is the new Black"), and very sentimental items. Let me explain the latter.

Gwen, Tim's Dad's fiancee, had wrapped two small boxes and had written notes on both. The first was for the future Red Sox fan and was a cute little Sox beanie cap. (BTW, Red Sox was a popular theme throughout the day - shocking, I know). The second box, to which I suspected incorrectly to be similar, turned out to be mittens and a hat knitted by Tim's Mom, who is no longer with us. After reading the note, I immediately teared up, opened the box and just lost my breath. No one really knew what was going on until Gwen was kind enough to explain. I just couldn't talk. Apparently, Gwen and Tim's Dad found them in a closet to which they have now found a new home. Let's just say the box of tissues made it's way full circle.

As we wrapped up the day, Gwen asked to gather all the Mom's together and recited beautiful words about being a Mom. Again, the tissues made their way around.

Unfortunately, I was not able to take pictures and am waiting for everyone to send me theirs. You'll have to stay tuned!

It was a beautiful day to spend a few hours with awesome ladies. To see friends I hadn't seen in a very long time because of distance; to see a beautiful two-week old little girl - whose Mom looks fabulous; to hear about engagements, newlywed happenings, veteren expectant Moms AND first time expectant Moms; to see my aunts, cousins, sister-in-laws, and of course to see my own Mom get teary eyed about her first granddaughter.

Oh, and thank you all for telling me I look fabulous despite my swollen legs, aching back, and stuffy nose...I truly feel loved.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you had a great time! You should feel loved - what is not to love about you!! : ) You and Tim are going to be the best parents and I can't wait to see you in action! : )

    ReplyDelete