Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

I had the pleasure of meeting with my Aunt Dee Dee on Saturday to sift through my grandfather's belongings.  He passed away 5 years ago this on April 1st and boxes of papers, memorabilia, and treasures sat untouched in my Dad's barn.

I had my eye peeled for a baseball score card from the 40's - I found it and so much more.  You see, both my grandfather, like so many others, served in the military.  My paternal grandfather spent 4 years in the Navy and then retired from the Coast Guard after 20 years of service. Appropriately, I had the opportunity to see all his newspaper clippings from the war, war bonds, ration coupons, ticket stubs from a game at the Honolulu Stadium, girly programs :-), old bullets, a piece of a German bomb, pictures of family and friends, war medals and honors, his navy uniform, and so much more.  It was very humbling.

His photo ID and WWII medal - I wore this on my bouquet on our wedding day

As we celebrate Memorial Day, we celebrate those who died during military service, I remember my grandfather who spent 25 years serving our country.

Oh, and that baseball card?  I found it!  It was from Comisky Park in 1945.  It's not clear what game it is and partially scored, but oh so cool.  We also found his clickers from his proud umpiring days.

The front score card is from 1945 and the background is from 1987.

Military and baseball - can't get more American than that :-)

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment