Thursday, June 30, 2011

Strawberry Fest!

Oh my are the strawberries heavenly right now.  We picked 15 pounds of the largest, juciest, reddest, sweetest strawberries of my life.  I'm just about to finish my second batch of jam, a tray is freezing, and I sent two quarts home with my helpers.  My brother's girlfriend, Abby and my Mom made the trek to Maxwell's just a couple miles down the road and spent an hour picking.  Trish and I gabbed while Mimi and Abby played in the car.  Abby did pick a few and for time's sake we finished without her.

Note to self - be sure you have enough pectin before you get started.  I had to make a trip to the store mid batch to pick up more.  How do I make it?  I follow this recipe for jam and the site for most of my canning.  It is very thorough and detailed on lots of canning, pick your own fields, and so much more!


Sixteen jars later, I'm spent and can't wait to enjoy the yumminess all year round.  There's nothing quite like homemade jam.  Where's number 16?  My huller took it home for all her hard work!  I may need to call her for round two this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment