Thursday, May 28, 2009

Who's our doctor???

No, I did NOT know the answer to this question when the lab checker-in person asked me. This whole learning process about midwives vs doctors and solo practices vs group practices has been a little overwhelming.

Here's what we have going on.... we were referred to the Women's Center (by my pcp) at Fletcher Allen, and really didn't think to visit other doctor offices or practices. At first I was a bit confused because we saw several different midwives for our appointments and each appt was not as lovey dovey as I would have liked. I started to think about finding a difference practice. Here are the pros and cons:

Solo practice - you see one doctor fairly exclusively and you're not guaranteed to have that doctor at delivery.

Group practice - you see lots of doctors and will know who is at your delivery.

I prefer the group practice philosophy, so we're staying where we're at. The good news is that Fletcher Allen offers group classes for women due around the same time. My first class was last night and is was much more lovey dovey than the appts we've had at the hospital. Unfortunately, we are the only couple signed up, so I'm hoping more join so we can continue these groups sessions. Basically, these appts will take the place of the prenatal appts at the hospital and do them in a group. Obviously the exam party is private, but the group will get together and ask/answer lots of questions by one of the midwives.

Speaking of which, here are some answers to many of the questions I've been asked!
  1. Yes, we heard the heart beat - 160 fhr.
  2. Yes, I've gained weight.
  3. No, I'm not telling how much.
  4. No, I don't have a belly - well, it's just a lot of extra squish.
  5. Yes, I have more energy.
  6. Yes, I have cravings - they are salty foods, carbs, and strawberries (see #3)
  7. Yes, we'll find out the sex - we have a few more weeks to go!
  8. No we haven't decided on names.

By the way, my doctor is considered The Midwives at the Women's Center :-) It only took 14 weeks to figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment