Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Year, Fresh Start

At some time in history, someone said January 1st is the start of a new year.  Giving everyone an opportunity to start fresh.  Throw away bad habits, start good ones.  Toss out bad relationships, start healthy ones.  Say goodbye to negative, and bring in positive.  I like it.  While our New Year's resolutions, as they say, are mostly abandoned by the end of the first month, I like to think my goals this year will turn into life long habits for the better.  And without further adieu, here they are!

1.  Do LOTS more, Screen Time Less: Oh how I love you email, facebook, blogging.  There are apps for everything fun.  Even Tim is sucked into fantasy this and fantasy that.  Just before the New Year, we replaced the battery in my lap top, but the charger wouldn't charge.  We had just ended our Amazon Prime (free two-day shipping!!), and had to wait several days for a new one.  In that time, we were a one laptop family and Tim monopolized it for most of the time.  With this said - I got so much more done.  I played with Abby more, read a book (gasp!), cleaned (double gasp!!), worked on sewing projects, organized and printed coupons...and that's just in a few days!  I realize I am using screen time now, but there are exceptions AND Abby is still sleeping :-) Quality screen time is what's important. 

2.  Move More, Sit Less: Isn't this everyone's goal?  I think I put this on my list each and every year.  But for real.  L.L.Bean has a fitness facility onsite for employees to use.  Albeit small, it has everything I need.  Elliptical, brand new weights, kettle balls, TV (hehe) and so much more.  I started this past Wednesday and plan on going a few days a week in the morning.  Tim is supportive and will drop off Abby on those days.  (have I mentioned I love him??!!)  In addition to the gym, I really want Abby to be active outside.  Adding more outdoor activities should do the trick!  Winter is tough for me, but I'll try!!


3. Be Present More, Multitasking Less:  Sometimes I find myself doing so many things at once, I lose sight of the most important task at hand - hanging out with Abby.  I easily get distracted by the dishes in the sink or laundry in the wash.  I do wish we had more hours in the day, but since we don't it's important to prioritize.

4.  Save More, Spend Less:  This one is self explanatory.  Being the CFO in our family and working on our 2012 budget, it's clear we have room for improvement.  A little less on entertainment or household expenses can help save for the new roof we need!  Couponing is helping in this area, too!  Just yesterday I picked up three large bottles of my conditioner for less than a $1.  Clearance prices coupled with coupons meant I saved well over $20.  These savings add up, right??

5.  Reuse/Reduce More, Use Less:  This one actually ties quite nicely into #4.  Looking at ways we can "reuse" more around the house can help with spending unnecessary money on things.  For example, using the bottom of cereal boxes for drawer organizers, shopping at thrift stores, reducing our electricity consumption, or comic paper for wrapping paper. I also would like to compost more in order to have less trash.  Did you know you can compost Q-tips?

6.  Snap More, Regret Less: Tim and I splurged on a new camera for Christmas and I would love to take photography classes to really learn how to use it.  I did a quick Google search and there are some inexpensive options around town.  I hate when you get somewhere and realize you forgot your camera.  Capturing those moments are priceless.  I don't know about you, but I can barely remember what I did yesterday let alone trying to hold on to the memories. 


So there they are....my goals for 2012. New Year, New Start!

No comments:

Post a Comment