Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Our Favorite Books

I have several favorite books I love reading to Abby.  We've been reading to her since the first day we brought her home and she now will sit and read books for a lengthy period of time.  Her love of reading will hopefully advance her when she hits kindergarten and beyond. 

When we moved to Maine, the first time I read Good Night Maine, I shed tears like it was my job.  A simple story with such poignant meaning.  We read this one several times a week and I express my gratitude each and every time. 

Another one is, On the Night You Were Born, byNancy Tillman.  I'm fairly certain this one was one of the first ones we read to Abigail Jean.  Even to this day, there's one page I can't get past without the tears forming, my voice cracking, and Abby looking at me like I have five heads. 

"So whenever you doubt just how special you are
and you wonder who loves you, how much and how far,
listen for geese honking high in the sky, 
(They're singing a song to remember you by.)

Or notice the bears asleep at the zoo.
(It's because they've been dancing all night for you!)

Or drift off to sleep to the sound of the wind.
(Listen closely...it's whispering your name again!)"

Get's me every time.

The new favorite is a book Abby received as a birthday gift from cousins Kelsie, Jeff and Trevor -  If I could Keep You Little.  The title speaks for itself and definitely will be on my gift list.  I haven't found it in a board book like the others, but it should!  

These a few titles I tend to pick out.  Abby has a tendency to pick out the nursery rhymes, Sandra Boynton books, and lots others. Not only is she my dancing queen (which she is currently doing), she is my reading queen.  On that note, I'm going to join in on the party!

No comments:

Post a Comment