Thursday, November 10, 2011

MISSION: 1

It's hard to find time these days for much of anything besides family, work, and a bit of socializing or sewing.  However, there are few missions as important as Mission:1.  I became involved with Mission:1 through the Mission Outreach Team at our church.  During Nov. 1-11, 2011 we are ONE UNITED CHURCH on a shared mission for 11 powerful days to feed the hungry and confront food-related injustice.  The goal is to raise $111,000 for Neighbors in Need, write 11,111 letters to Congress, and 1 million food items for local food banks.  Our own group was nationally recognized by the UCC here.

We sponsored several awareness events for our congregation including inviting Donna Yellen, Director of the Maine Hunger Initiative and Advocacy at Preble Street, spoke to us about Food Securities in Maine last night.  In 90 short minutes, I learned so much.  

I learned about hunger and poverty in state of Maine as well as international famine.  I learned that Maine is the 6th hungriest state and has had some of its funding slashed by 57% while other states only 24%.  I learned that the men and women begging on the street corner work hard for those few dollars.  I learned that they are more hurt by the lack of eye contact than the lack of money.   They've been ignored, have had hot coffee thrown at them, and have been arrested for stepping into the street to reach for the money being generously handed to them.  I learned that those same men and woman are the sickest of all the homeless and will most likely die on the streets. The news doesn't share those tragedies.

I learned that food sources have been slashed. Grocery stores are using technologies to analyze what their shoppers purchase, therefore having less extra inventory to donate.  And those dented cans?  Dollar stores are buying them for next to nothing.  In light of the economic downturn, funding has been cut.  The shelves in food pantries are struggling to stay stocked while more and more families are in need. 

I learned that I am thankful for my well stocked pantry and full refrigerator.   My time might be precious, but I absolutely have time to try and give back all I can.  That may mean volunteering at a soup kitchen, donating healthy food, writing a letter to my Congress, or donating a few extra dollars to my church's food panty.  I have the ability to help this travesty. 


1 comment: