Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourth of July means all things strawberries.....

Usually July reminds me of strawberry picking, but I always end up picking the luscious berries a tad too late.  Because as you know, the best picking is the end of June.  If you haven't picked by July 4th, you'll end up with not-so-perfect crop. 

With our CSA and effort to eat local in the past couple of years, I've learned to can, jam, and pickle.  And wouldn't you know just five days ago I opened the last jar of strawberry jam I made two summers ago.  With strawberry fields within just a few miles of our house, I had to make time to go.  Soo, the holiday weekend was in sight and I knew I could sneak away for a short time to grab a box full.  The anticipation of going is always exciting, it's almost like yard saleing.  The excitement over getting the largest strawberry you can find can cause you to lose sleep! 

I got to the fields at 7:15 and really thought I'd be the first one there. Oh boy was I wrong - arriving to several cars and more than 100 people I picked up the pace to get to a hopefully unpicked row.  And, just to be clear, I was BY MYSELF.  :-)  I grabbed my box and set off. 

The picking had it's ups and downs.  I'd find a bunch of perfect berries and then reach for big one only for my finger to squish into a moldy part.  I'd get on a role and then find slugs  (just groooosssss!). I ended up on my knees, soggy pants, yet a box of 9 lbs of awesome, sweet, medium size berries.

Perfect for making a few jars of jam - 9 jars to be exact. Next years I'll start picking in June to avoid the mold and go for the big ones!

Have a safe and Happy Fourth of July.  As my former boss at DQ would always post on the billboard,

"He who drinks a fifth on the fourth, may not go forth on the Fifth."

xoxoxox
The Proctors

No comments:

Post a Comment