Thursday, March 22, 2012

In 50 Years.....

On the way to church in the morning, we pass two other churches along the way.  You can feel the sense of gathering and community as cars drive into lots and parishioners walk in.  Driving along Route 77, we always pass by a couple walking to the Methodist church.  Today I had the privileged of seeing them walk home. 

The 70+ year old couple faithfully has walked through the seasons to partake in this weekly ritual.  They walk on the correct side of the road, the elderly man walks on the outside (closest to the cars), they are always carrying something to share for coffee hour, and strikingly, they always hold hands.  Always. 

As I drove home today and I watched them walk home (on the other side of the road and STILL holding hands!), my mind flashed forward 50 years.  I sincerely hope Tim and I are that couple.  Although if we're walking, we'd have to move closer to our church...... but we still have a few years anyways.......


1 comment: