Sunday, July 15, 2012

Problem Solving

During High School basketball season, I went to my cousins last home game.  While leaving, I noticed patrons of the game walking aimlessly in the parking lot and cars circling each other.  The lot had been blocked in by cars parking illegally.  The people started complaining and bitching about the illegally parked cars instead of actually doing something about it.  Clearly lacking the problem solving skills in their 5th or 6th decade in life, I whipped out my phone, "wrote" about 6 license plate numbers, went back into the gymnasium, and had the announcer read off the numbers.  The stranded patrons needed only one car to move before an exit was created, we waited (some) patiently.  Within 5 minutes we were set free.

Since that day ridiculous day in the parking lot, I have vowed to teach Abby problem solving skills.  Fast forward to today.  We got home from our fabulous weekend at a friends' lakehouse and were unpacking.  Going from here to there, I stopped to watch Abby get her stool from her room, drag it down our half flight of stairs, and unlock the front door.  She said, "I did it! I did it!"  I purposely had the door locked (simple gate hook and eye lock) so she wouldn't get out, but she apparently really, really, really wanted to.  At least she didn't sit there whining to get out. Who would have thunk we'd have a problem solver on our hands this young.  I think I'm going to have to raise the lock.

Abby: 2 years 8 months
Baby Onion: 17 weeks 6 days

PS (Onion is the current size, thankfully it will change tomorrow!)

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love when people don't use their thinking caps! Funny, Caroline realized she could army crawl under the gate at the top of the stairs. Time to fix that! The good thing is she screamed,"I'm trapped on the wrong side!" LOL

    ReplyDelete