Saturday, October 30, 2010

Painting lesson 101

I have never been a great painter. I like doing it, but even with painter's tape, I could never get a straight line.  My brother is the professional painter and I am forever grateful for his loads of his time and advice to us novices.

In case you are ever in need of painting a room here are a few words of advice.  

1.  Start with the putty and sand the shit out of the room, and then do it again.  Vacuum.  I swear he said that to us 20 times and there are still spots we could have done better.
2.  Paint the ceilings, trim, walls, baseboards - in that order.....  Really -it's amazing!  Work smarter, not harder!
3.  No need for painters tape!  You read that right, we did not waste any money on painters tape.  Just hold your brush at an angle and like a pencil and take your time.  Now don't think my cut lines turned out like my brothers, but they're pretty comparable to tape!
4.  Don't ask your brother to help unless you want to be scrutinized all day long. 

In all honesty, he is the best painter out there.  I was in Sherwin Williams picking up a gallon of paint (that I had picked up the day before, but asked for the wrong color.  There's the $ we saved on tape...) and the store manager and two guys who I think were his bosses were complimenting Rob's work.  Considering home owners in Cape Elizabeth, Falmouth, and so on hire him and his crew to do work, I'd say I'm getting a heck of a deal.  So, I'll deal with the scrutinizing....

No comments:

Post a Comment